Dull Hair? Get Your Shine On
Posted on 27 October 2015
Ever noticed your hair doesn't have a shine or sheen to it?
Get frustrated because your hair looks dry but is moisturized? No matter how many oil or butters you apply to your hair it never has the healthy radiance you're looking for?
Then this post is for you...
(Image courtesy of istock)
Many of us know about dying our hair....now don't stop readying because I mentioned hair dye lol.
Yes a clear rinse.
What is a clear rinse?
It is a colorless dye. Just as any other semi-permanent dye it is temporary and washes away over time.
What does it do?
It deposits a layer onto the hair that leaves it full of sheen, helps to smooth the cuticle, reduces frizz significantly, aids in moisture retention and for those that have high porosity hair it provides temporary porosity correction. After all of that who wouldn't want to try it? Exactly!
Commercial clear rinses that are easily available are:
- Ion Color Brilliance (my fav)
- Jon Frieda Clear Shine Luminous Glaze
- Aveeno Active Naturals Living Color Preserving Shine Glaze
- Fekkai Salon Glaze
- Sebastian Colorshines
- Clairol Colorgloss
- Jazzing Sheer Hair Color
- Adore Shining Semi Permanent
The results are immediate. After my initial use I always notice the shine, how smooth my hair feels and it's less likely to get fairy knots.
Is this natural/curly girl friendly?
No. Commercial dye is not natural but it works.
Do natural alternatives exists?
Of course! Meet option #2... Cassia Obovata. This is my favorite natural alternative to the clear dye.
What is Cassia Obovata?
It is the ground leaves of the Cassia plant. It is pretty well know as the Clear "Henna" Treatment. It has many of the great properties of henna without depositing color onto the strands. This is a definite winner in my book. The simplest way to use it is by doing a gloss.
My DIY Cassia Gloss Recipe
- Plastic/ Glass bowl and utensils.
- 1/2 cup of Cassia powder
- 2 bags of tea or a heaping tablespoon of loose tea of choice (ex: Green, Black, Oolong, Herbal or Floral)
- 1 cup of distilled water
- 1/4 cup of a moisturizing conditioner
- 3-4 tablespoons of a humectant of choice (ex: honey, agave nectar or glycerin)
- Heat the distilled water, add it to the tea and it to steep until cool.
- Cleanse and detangle your hair.
- Once the tea is has cooled blend it with the the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply the gloss to your hair from roots to ends.
- Cover your hair in a shower cap and wrap it with a hair turban. Note: This helps to retain your body heat for the gloss to penetrate your strands.
- Leave it in for approx 30 mins to an hour. Rinse well.
- Follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner for approx. 30 mins as well.
You will notice an immediate change in how your hair feels and looks. It will feel stronger, softer, smooth, silky and have a beautiful sheen to it.
Give it a try and let us know how well it worked for you in the comments section.
*Note: Be sure to do a test patch first. Everyone's hair is different and reacts differently to treatments. It is best to always do a test before applying all over your hair.