Simple Care for Coily Hair
Posted on 26 October 2015
Coily Hair Care Made Simple
Fine to tightly coiled
Length can have no pattern or an 'S'/ 'Z' shape
Ranges from coily or afro
Density: moderate to very high
Texture: soft, fine, coarse or wiry
Shrinkage: minimal to over 3/4 of the length
Roots: push away from the scalp in an 'S' shape. They can be very tight curls/ coils or very loose curls that look like looping waves.
Main Issues + Solutions
Can be difficult to keep the hair moisturized depending on its porosity.
- Moisturizing regularly.
- Cover the hair at night with silk/satin when preparing for bed and when wearing hats.
- Co-washing often.
- Avoiding harsh surfactants in your cleansers.
- Try not to be rough while styling and washing the hair. These are the times the hair is most likely to be damaged.
- Coils generally loves butters and creamy leave in conditioners and styling products. Be sure they aren't too heavy or your hair could become weighted down. Lifeless tresses are no bueno.
- After cleansing the hair use a moisturizing water based leave in and apply penetrating carrier oils and highly emollient butters, such as Budding Butter Treat, to the hair. This will maximize your moisture retention.
- Slip is life! The more slippery the product the better. Use a slippery leave in and rinse out conditioner when detangling the hair.
- Work through the hair in sections. Be sure to twist or braid the hair, as you go, to prevent it from re-tangling.
- Handle with care and incorporate moisturizing and protein deep conditioners as needed.
- Dry with a microfiber towel or soft cotton t-shirt. Hair is less likely to snag on these materials.
- If the scalp does not produce enough sebum on its own be sure to apply a healthy oil blend like flourishing scalp nectar as needed. Massage the scalp nightly with the pads of your fingers. A few minutes at a time is great. Scalp massages encourage blood circulation in the scalp and sebum production.
- Avoid using direct heat often. It can dry out the hair. Indirect heat is fine when not over used.
- Apply a light to medium weight oil, like daily dew to the length of the hair. It aids in moisture retention and give the hair a great sheen.
- When washing the hair do a cool/ cold water final rinse. This smooths the cuticle allowing light to reflect off of it easier and shows the sheen.
- For more info on how to make dull hair shine check this article.
Hopefully this article is helpful to you. If you have any questions about coily hair feel free to ask in the comment section.